Friday, March 23, 2007

How Sweet the Sound

Not long ago, I told Stacey that I didn't want to sing "Amazing Grace" anymore. I have tired of the typical singing of the song - a dirge-like pace with little conviction nor care for the thoughts expressed by the words. Whenever I heard that number called, I'd roll my eyes as we prepared to spend about 10 minutes singing a few dozen words.


The next time I lead singing, I'm going to lead just that song with much thought and a more appropriate pace. I'll probably preface it with a few words of reflection about why we're singing these particular words.


Why the change? I just saw the movie of the same name with my wonderful wife and it has given me a new appreciation for those words.


If you read no further, do this - find what theater it is playing at and go give them your money. We need to support Enjoyable movies with an appreciation of moral character that are both entertaining and clean. Movies like this are worthy of both our attention and a piece of our entertainment budgets.


I wish I had my voice recorder as there were so many wonderful lines that bear further rumination. There were quite a few funny lines - especially at Parliament. But there were many convicting lines that the viewer with an honest heart will feel the sting as their own life is laid bare before such thoughts.


Some of the best thoughts carried the idea that settling for a procedural victory (i.e. "baby steps") is no victory at all - we must strive for a total, immediate triumph. Far too often, I think we fool ourselves in the church into believing the "small victories" are what is important in the grander scheme of things rather than putting aside our comfort and striving to win as many souls as possible for God.


Also, the gentle encouragement of Barbara who helped her husband regain the conviction to continue his mission and her steadfastness throughout the process is a great example of a supportive wife.


Really, there is too much good to be said for my feeble memory to cope with, so you'll just have to go see it for yourself.


Do it, and you won't regret it

No comments:

Post a Comment