Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Follow up to "Complete Devotion Required"

In yesterday's post, I went over some points about how it is imperative that we devote ourselves to God with every ounce of our being.

Well, in the context of the sermon I shared on that topic, I mentioned a few songs that I have questions/problems with. I seriously upset some folks. So, I stood up the next sunday and reminded everyone that my intention wasn't to hurt feelings or cause confusion, rather to admonish folks to think about what they're singing. I also stated that I didn't know that I could bind what I thought about those songs on anyone, but I do have questions.

I thought - for fun - I'd post those songs with my reasons and a few others. If you have some (Ward already chimed in with one - i'll spell it out below for those who haven't read the comments), post them in the comments section! And, if you disagree with me, give me a reason (and just so you know - if "we've always sung that" is your reason, then go give yourself a swirly!).

Questionable Songs (or parts thereof):
1. 10,000 Angels - Verse 3 is what I have a problem with. Quoting Jesus with "Woman, behold thy son." is taking it out of context and makes it sound like "Look at me!" not John as the scripture expresses.
2. Jesus, Rose of Sharon - After looking into this further, my objection isn't quite as solidly founded as I first thought, but I still don't care for it. My thought was that this phrase is attributed to the bride in the song of solomon. The TNIV agrees with this as does the NASB. John wesley is the only readily available commentator that I can find who believes ch 2:1 is the groom speaking. Everyone else (that I have found so far) expresses this as the bride speaking (lowly & lovely in contrast to the high & noble trees from 2:3) of herself. Though it isn't a strict parallel, we (the church) are Christ's bride, therefore HE should not be compared to the rose.
3. Lily of the Valley - Same thought as above, except for the Lily. I have less of a problem with this one because it is not so dependant on the whole metaphor as the preceeding.
4. Mansion over the Hilltop - "I want a gold one, that's silver lined" sounds a little on the greedy side to me. Jesus promised us a "dwelling" ("mansions" in the KJV isn't the best translation) not a palatial estate. In general I can sing this song, I just don't know that it's the best choice.
5. The Old Rugged Cross - (let the flames begin!) I don't know that I even need to spell out my reasons to get yelled at. I have an outline expressing why this isn't an accurate representation of what Paul spoke of in Galatians (and will gladly email that to any that wish to read it). We have no biblical teaching that expresses the concept of exchanging the cross (or even what it represents) for eternal life. Jesus does that for me. Yes, it sounds symbolic in its language, but really it elevates the cross to a higher position of esteem than God has placed it. This song is - to me - the new testament Nehushtan.
6. Come share the Lord - "no one is a stranger here"? That doesn't sound right to me! Any who are faithfully serving God should be part of the family, but any who decides to wallow in the filthy pits of sin (and no, Dennis, there isn't any "lovely filth" down there!) are strangers! This sounds remarkably calvinistic to me.

There are sure to be others (especially some of the more "contemporary" ones), but I'm drawing a blank right now. One other that was mentioned was - My Hope is Built (The Solid Rock).
"Imputed Righteousness" from verse four was the assertion, and looking at the words my take is that the thought is that living in Jesus (dressed in His righteousness) is what indemnifies us (faultless to stand). Though, I could easily see that this could be understood to imply no need for a trial with Jesus as our advocate which is exactly what we DO need.

That's it for now - fire away or add more fuel as you see fit!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:20 PM

    Yeah. Verse four of Solid Rock can be sung with a good conscience if you're singing it with the right thoughts in your mind. The composer, on the other hand, was most likely thinking IR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:42 PM

    I agree with you in the fact that people when they sing a song need to know that what they are singing is to the lord. More often then not we as christians get into a pattern of doing things and don't always realize the meaning of what we are doing.(ie the lords supper)We should look at what we sing and be able to mean the words that we sing. Just my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:21 PM

    Personally, I do not think we should sing "B I B L E Is The Book For Me. Consider the third verse:

    "I stand alone on the Word of God"

    This is a children's song. We should not be teaching children to stand on Bibles.

    :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:11 AM

    Although we may be able to sing a song with a different meaning in mind, we should consider visitors and those less taught. I think "Solid Rock" is a good example of this. Anyone with a remotely Calvinistic background (which permeates most evangelical denominations to some extent) would think we were affirming the imputation of Christ's righteousness. So saying "we know what we mean" doesn't cut it, in my mind.

    Good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete